Sunday, February 3, 2008

Insomnia

I have it. It's slowly killing my brain. I am exhausted all the time. I feel that so-tired-that-you-can't-sleep tired, like when you are 9 months pregnant, can't breathe, can't lay down comfortably, and your mind runs in endless circles. Or that I-have-a-new-baby-at-home-who-needs-to-eat-in-30-minutes-so-what's-the-point-of-sleeping sleep pattern. My baby doesn't eat every 30 minutes, he sleeps much better than I do, and I am not pregnant. It's just me.

For the past week, I've been averaging between 5-6 hours of sleep per night. Granted, it isn't 3-4 hours as mentioned in the earlier examples. (I am the kind of person that needs 8-9 hours of sleep per night. No exceptions) It is just enough to keep me functioning at a very slow, foggy, level. A level that keeps me functioning until about 1pm and then I fall down in exhaustion. And crankiness. At night, I fall asleep easily, but can't stay asleep. I wake up with thoughts of painting walls, furniture arrangement, rug placement, and new curtains. I think about school districts, no sidewalks, big yards, and new neighbors. Is there a theme here?

Yawn. It is 5:50 am. I have been up for two hours. K is laying on the couch watching Little Bear. She has insomnia too. She got up at 4:30 this morning and then I put her back to bed. I, of course, couldn't go back to sleep. She woke up again around 5:30. The rule is she can either lay on the couch or in her bed, but she is NOT playing or eating breakfast until the clock says 6. Ha. The rule used to be "until the clock says 7". Ahhh those were the days.

I suspect her mind is running in circles too. Talk of this "new house" that we keep visiting that sits empty. Talk of her friend, G, and how he'll come visit her in her new house and play with her toys. Talk of her "big girl room" and how it will have all her things in it, including her new quilt.

Here she is now, tugging at my leg. "C'mon Mommy. The clock says SIIIIX. I want cereal!"

Hopefully, I'll find the coffee pot through the fog.

5 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Oh man, that totally sucks too.

Once I hit 25, I could no longer function on few hours of sleep and now need at least 8 to not be a beast.

I hope it passes soon - though I know how those kinds of thoughts can keep you up.

Christina Schmidt said...

Oh I hope the sleeplessness does pass.

Buying a new house is a really hard decision that will be tough on everyone. We did a lot in preparation of moving for Matthew and it worked out well. The only negative and one thing of note (for us): we found that going back by our old house was a bad idea. We still can hardly drive by there without a million questions and he will suddenly start referring to our current house as the "new" house. Thought it has dulled in the almost year since we moved. BUT that is Matthew - he is kind of sensitive like that ;)

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

So have you decided to go ahead with the house?!?

Lily was younger when we moved (17 months) but she never batted an eye. Everyone will adjust!

I hear ya on the exhaustion. I find myself falling asleep in the recliner on the weekends. Although my baby sleeps pretty well overnight I would welcome an uninterrupted night sometime in the near future. We'll see. He's really only up once during the overnight hours but seems to like starting his day at about 5:30. I think I'm logging about 5-6 hours every night. YAWN!

Kelly said...

Damn you, Nicki! You made me cry AGAIN! I haven't even mentioned to Gray about you guys moving yet, though I think about it daily. I guess I'm just not ready for that yet since, you know, this move seems to be all about me. ;)

I hope you and Kate get some good sleep tonight. I'll be sure to turn my porch light on if I happen to be up at 1 again. ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm catching up on my emails and decide to read your blogs....my next thought is WHAT?
Since when are you guys moving, closing, and not sleepy from all this news? How come I didn't know about this? Hello, am I not your sister?