Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The "incident"







Okay. So I am finally calmed down enough that I can post about this. The other day (last Wednesday?), I was downstairs with J and K was playing upstairs. I heard a large crash, followed by the scream of my eldest baby. My blood immediately ran cold and I leaped, I mean LEAPED into the air, and flew up the stairs faster than I thought humanly possible. I found my dear K laying in her room with her DRESSER on top of her. OMG. I know. There are not words.

I picked that dresser up with literally NO effort and Missy Miss was flailing all her extremities. The strength one has in a situation like that is truly amazing isn't it? I mean, it's not the heaviest piece of furniture, but most of the drawers were still in it and full of course. I swear if it was a semi truck I could have picked it up as easily my adrenaline was THAT high! After making sure all limbs seemed generally intact and no spinal injuries seemed present (you know how your mind goes there immediately in such an instance as soon as you determine your child is breathing!), I picked her up and took her into my bedroom where we sat and cried together. She calmed down in about 30 seconds and my hands, well, I think they finally stopped shaking yesterday. Damn dresser.


She literally sustained a scratch on her leg that was 1/2 inch in length and nothing else. Lord. We are so lucky. I've never seriously considered tethering/anchoring furniture before, but obviously am considering it now. She's not much of a monkey typically, but admitted she had pulled out the bottom drawers and was climbing on them.

The dresser sustained much more injury including a broken drawer, cracked base, chips, cracks, etc. Here are some pics of where my slippers landed in the stairwell...apparently I ran right out of them, which is kind of funny now.


Also, a picture of the "culprit" (damn thing, I may burn it!), and a pic of my princess eating her snack no worse for wear like 10 minutes later. While Mommy was still shaking and trying to calm herself. I almost took a picture of a wine bottle too, just b/c I thought that might be the only way to calm down. Thankfully, a few tears shed while telling my husband the story as well as a good friend of mine, calmed me down without resorting to "good coping skills" (i.e. drinking a glass of wine). :)

I hate days like that. But am also so thankful that she has never been seriously injured by her many uh....."experiences".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh scary! I'm glad she's OK. I probably would have puked if I found Lily with her dresser on top of her. We have the furniture in the kids' rooms anchored to the walls but there is some stuff in the rest of the house that isn't. Of course, after seeing Gray's Anatomy a few weeks ago where the kid got smashed by a book case made me want to anchor EVERYTHING in the house. I'm really paranoid about pictures/mirrors hanging on the walls. Somehow I fear that they will just drop off of the wall on to the kids...despite how securly they are hung.

AndreAnna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AndreAnna said...

Ok, randomly delete, whydontcha blogger?

So glad she's okay. That is so scary. One of my friends friends (no one I know personally) lost her 18 month old when a dresser fell on him in the middle of the night. The mother heard the bang but thought it was her husband coming home slamming the garage door. Apparently it happens often as I think there was an episode on Grey's about it. Can you even imagine? I'd die.

After I heard that story. everything in our house is tethered, especially since Charlotte is a climber. They sell them cheap at Target and you can't even see them once they're in. And the piece of mind is so worth it.

I'm so happy everyone is okay.

K and J's mom said...

Okay, after hearing how common it is, everything will be tethered now.

AA- that is HORRIBLE about the 18 month old. Omg. I had a friend who's friend had a baby (2-3 y.o.) who accidentally hung himself in the blinds. You just can't shake those feelings when you hear stories like that.

MM- I missed that episode of Grey's. Lord. My girl should live in a bubble. She is so accident-prone, but thankfully she has never gotten truly hurt in any of them. I swear her bones are rubber!

Christina Schmidt said...

UGH this is my fear too! We had stuff anchored at the last house but have yet to do it here so we just watch Matthew like hawk. I totally know it needs to be done... I am SO glad Kate is okay!

Childsplayx2 said...

When my son was just getting mobile (i.e. rolling) I forgot to close the baby gate at the top of the stairs. I left him on the floor for a minute and when I returned, I had a great view of him just starting to roll off the top step. He bounced all the way down while I chased after him. Even now, thinking of it, I tear up. Of course, he was just fine. Me? Not so much.

I'm glad she's fine - and you too! (Oh, I'm totally going out to buy "Heather Has Two Mommies". Sounds like a great book!)