Monday, September 3, 2007

Dumpster diving

Current mood: contemplative

On Saturday, we dropped off a trash bag full of clothing at The Salvation Army. When we pulled up to the drop site, there was a little girl rummaging through the bags, holding up clothing that might possibly fit her. She couldn't have been more than nine years old. There were two adults also, a woman (her mother?) who looked like she'd lived a very hard life, and a man who was dressed as a woman (complete with painted on eyebrows, a denim skirt, and a blouse). They all talked among themselves and were clearly together.

What a hard life this little girl must live. I wonder what thoughts crossed her mind as she saw my little girl sitting comfortably in the air conditioned back seat, eating goldfish crackers, smiling happily at her daddy as he unloaded our car.

Who takes care of that little girl? Does she have new school clothes? Where does she sleep? Did she eat breakfast? Are these her parents? Does she have any toys or books?

How fortunate my daughter is to have her basic needs met. She will likely never know what it is like to be hungry, have no where to live, or wonder who/where her parents are. What if she had been born into this other little girl's family instead of our's?

How do we truly help others? Give them money? Donate clothing and food? Support local charities? Look them directly in the eye when we encounter them and truly acknowledge them as people, rather than quickly glance away because we are uncomfortable witnessing their hardship?

We, as a society, tend to look down on the impoverished, mentally ill, addicted, and those with unfortunate luck. When we turn our backs on them, how often do we truly think about the children in these families? Why should they live lives that are any different from our children?

I think it is important to think about such things from time to time. I hope you will do the same in your own life.

6 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

I agree 100%. I saw a little child at the Seminary Square Kroger (Ghetto Kroger to many.) This child was Matthew's age almost to the day. The child was with his father (?). It was a warmish summer day last year. The father walked this child into Kroger naked except for a diaper (not even shoes - Okay Kroger's floor = GROSS...) The child was so sweet and serene.

The father started digging through the corn and the child just wandered off. A 1 yr old wandering through Kroger! I flip out when my child walks out of my sight in a public spot! The father did not even look up or wonder wear his child went. I followed because I wanted to make sure nothing happened to this kiddo. I looked closer and this kid had what looked like cuts and scrapes and I swear to you a cigarette burn on his cheek. He was DIRTY - not like 1 yr old dirty but just plan unclean and his diaper was filled to the brim with pee (poop maybe but I could not tell.) The diaper sagged almost to the floor.

I was heart broken for the child and I had to stifle a sob. I pawed in my purse for something to give to this child, a present to make his life happier for a moment or even a clean diaper/wipe to give to the man caring for this child. Then I thought OMG I cannot do that - the man will be embarrassed or offended (and if he is on drugs who knows what he might do...)

I was heart broken for days after this and felt the same way you did. I just wasn't sure what to do or how to deal with it. I still am not... I feel for these kids because there are a lot more of then we perhaps realize. I too wonder what I can to do to help. If you come up with something let me know...

Kelly said...

I don't evn know if it's something Bloomington has or not, but I used to work at a soup kitchen back home every now and then, and though I never felt like I was really contributing much, the people there were always very appreciative and thankful for the food we served. I would love to have our family do something like this together as Grayson gets older.

Christina Schmidt said...

Hey Kelly: Bloomington has that but usually there are so many volunteers they turn people away. Just something about the community - people want to help. Donations for food are always a huge need. There is Hoosier Hills Food Bank that distributes to organizations all over the county. It is HUGE - You should see their warehouse - I was in awe when I saw it!

Kelly said...

Yeah, we usually send money instead of donating food. I just like the idea of helping in a more hands-on way. I think it will be better for Grayson as he gets older to actually participate in "helping and giving back."

K and J's mom said...

I love that you both think in those same ways! Dan and I have always talked about getting K into volunteering as soon as possible. Not just the "holidays" volunteering that people tend to do, but also the day to day. Every year around her birthday I think about asking people to donate to a specific charity in lieu of gifts, but haven't managed to get that done yet. I love hearing stories of young people doing things like that. Maybe we can organize something with our kids when they get a little bigger to get them involved in something!

Christina Schmidt said...

Now that is a great idea! We could have the kids do something like donate old slightly worn toys to a charity together. Or even look into things like a monthly trip to help out at some organization.

The Shalom Center (http://cgi.hoosier.net/~shalom/home/)is a biggie here in town. Also Mother Hubbard's Cupboard (http://www.mhcfoodpantry.org/) is always looking for people who want to volunteer (and I know kids are welcome to help out.)
Also though Hoosier Hills Food Bank (http://www.hhfoodbank.org/) you can set up Food Drives. Check out their volunteer section on this. As well they have numerous special events that do not include holidays only - like the Soup Bowl Benefit and the Crop Walk. All things that we could volunteer at and probably bring the kids along to help so they better understand things.

Bloomington is actually a magnet for down and out people through out the state apparently because as a community we provide more exceptional free services then most communities in the state! It is pretty amazing!

I would love to do some of this stuff. I remember doing volunteer stuff with my mom when I was little - my favorite was Meals on Wheels! I loved driving with my mom to deliver the food to the elderly folks and most of them loved to see me! Of course she was a SAHM with more time then I have but I am willing to set aside time each month and go do something with Matthew!