Friday, August 31, 2007

One step forward...

Current mood: hopeful

And TWO steps back!

As I have blogged before, we entered the world of potty training a few weeks ago. K had a pretty successful first week and we all felt good about her many successes. I thought "Wow! This is sooo easy. She'll be trained in no time!" Then suddenly, she began refusing to sit on the potty. Without rhyme or reason (that we could determine), she began peeing on the floor and not telling us. Every time we asked her to go, she'd scream "NOOOOO!" Sigh. Needless to say, I was frustrated.

After it became clear she was NOT going to participate in sitting on, standing near, discussing the potty, or even alerting us after the fact she peed on the floor, I put her back in pull ups. I was totally discouraged and felt like a failure. D and I decided that this was not an issue we could battle with K, so we just stopped discussing it and hoped a break would help.

She'd been back in pull ups for about a week, and then one morning this week she said "Potty, Daddy" and sure enough she went. No more successes after that until today. Today she actually chose to wear her big girl panties and has had three successes on the potty.

Lord knows I am trying NOT to get excited, but rather just "play it cool". I'm sure this will be a back and forth issue for us for a good, long while. Thank goodness for the small successes that keep a mother going...

2 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

We had the same experiences on and off from the time Matthew was 18 months and asked about going potty standing up. I was like OMG my son is ready for MENSA. Yeah, no not really. He still counts 1,2,6,7,2 soooo... I kid.

At any rate, I guess this potty stuff takes time. Our friends were telling us it took both their sons still about the age of 6 to be night time potty trained which sounds like it meant lots of accidents AND/OR pull ups at night. Hmmm...

SO with that long old comment, I hear ya sista!

K and J's mom said...

It's nice to know that other kids do the back and forth thing, too!