Monday, August 13, 2007

Hard times

Current mood: sad

Where has my confident daughter gone? K, who has exhibited little fear in her life, has always had no difficulty staying with others, and has awed me with her confidence, is experiencing a BIG change these days.

She is downstairs crying right now because Mommy is staying upstairs and Daddy is making her breakfast. Who is this whiney child? Where is my big girl?

She has become the child with separation anxiety. I understand that her life has been turned upside down in recent weeks. I am not able to "run around" as much as in weeks prior due to the ongoing contractions; we've had people in and out of our house almost daily for the past two weeks or so-which is a help to D and I, but I think has caused confusion for her. Certainly our stress level has increased in recent weeks as the contractions get stronger and we try to keep the baby inside me calm and encourage him to stay put for at least another month.

Times are hard at our house. I am unsure how to help her right now. I vascillate (forgive my poor spelling) between giving into her increased need for cuddles, reassurance, and time together and just letting her stand at the bottom of the stairs crying for me for what feels like hours. Meanwhile, her daddy's heart breaks as she cries for Mommy to do everything for her. Our closest friends are quickly rejected by her in their attempts to help her walk down steps, get a snack, change clothes, or even go outside to play. Every well meaning attempt results in K having a major meltdown....one that ends with her clinging to me in desperation.

K and I typically have a lot of time together. I have been home with her almost non-stop for weeks now, but I struggle with this question: Should I spend even more time with her now due to this sudden change in personality? Or does this mean I should leave her to the care of others more often so that she regains her confidence that Mommy will always return home?

Sigh. I'm looking for words of encouragement and ideas on how to help her from all of you. Let me know your ideas and experiences...they are my source of sanity right now. I know you are thinking the same thing I am...the baby isn't even here yet (gasp!)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Oh, Nicki. Hang in there! I know how hard it can be listening to your kid crying for you - NOT FUN!! I know it can be extremely frustrating, but I would try to give Kate all the cuddles I can right now. She's probably so confused with all of the changes you guys have had to make, but things will get better. They've got to, right? :)

Let me know if I can help in any way (even if it's just to use Grayson for a distraction!).