Sunday, August 26, 2007

The biggest fan


Current mood: excited

As most of you know, throughout the past several years I have become a pretty avid Colts fan. Not the kind of fan who paints her face half blue/half white, but the kind who looks forward to Sunday and Monday night football each week and makes PLANS to sit and watch the game....every week except buy week. (Gasp!) Anyhoo, my intrigue began building about five-six years ago when D's previous company would treat us to an occasional game. That was three companies ago, but still luckily on occasion we score tickets through D's work.

He came home one evening last week telling me of a client who offered him pre-season tix to Saturday night's game against Detriot. Did I want to go? Uhhhh....lemme think....YES! So for $50 a piece, we bought the tix and planned a night out in Indy to celebrate our four year anniversary a few weeks early. K was off to Grandma's for the night.

After a wonderful dinner at our FAVORITE restaurant, P.F. Changs, we headed to the RCA dome for what will likely be the last time (for you out of towners, a HUGE new stadium is under construction). We knew our tix were in one of the endzones and were excited to watch the game from a new perspective.

Imagine my shock and delight when I realized that we had (for the first time EVER) to walk DOWN to get to our seats. Down....down....down....and still further, down. The smile on my face was HUGE as I realized we were sitting next to the tunnel where the Colts were going to enter and exit the field and would actually be close enough to see them. My smile turned to gasps when I realized OUR SEATS were in the THIRD row. The third row people! D and I were both like "Holy Cow!!" It was like sitting ON the field!

As we got down to our row, I see two little boys holding footballs over the rail and looked over to see who they were talking to. Oh, no big deal. It was just TONY DUNGY!!! I grabbed my camera and snapped a couple of pictures because I didn't know what else to do. It was like I was star struck. I know, I'M SUCH A DORK!!! (I'll post some pics on my page and you can see how friggin' close I was) Yes, I was THAT fan. Me and all the little boys in the section were salivating as the players came out of the tunnel, practiced in front of us, and we could hear and see EVERYTHING!

It was amazing. I was smiling from ear to ear the entire game. I could hear Peyton's calls, see his chicken scratches, hell, I could tell when he spit. ha ha! We got to see touchdowns, kicks, a few shoves, and just generally were a "part" of the game. It was sooo cool.

I know this may not interest most of you, but for a "new" NFL fan whose team won the Superbowl in only her fourth or so year of watching, this game was the highlight of my summer.
And was my honey embarrassed by his pregnant wife, eyes as wide as saucers, sitting there for hours with a stupid grin on her face? No, he just smiled and appreciated my joy. THAT is a good husband, ladies. I hope you all have one!

6 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

Yeah! Our friends went to that game too but I do not think they had the seats you had! Sounds awesome and as much as I adore football of all kinds and have watched the NFL my WHOLE life (not as much the past few years) wouldn't you know it is the only pro sport I have yet to see in person!?

Tried and true 49ers fan, however. Nothing against the Colts - but I love the Niners from way back even if they are one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Can't wait to see the pics!

I hope things are going well for you - would love to get together again for another girl's night!? I'll have to mention that to Kelly :)

K and J's mom said...

Oooooo! I didn't know you were an NFL fan! Now I don't feel so alone! :)

I'm struggling with how to add pics to blogs already posted...any tips to share?

I'm always up for girls' nights! I need all the socialization I can get...

Anonymous said...

Nice to see some more football fans! We should get together this fall to watch a game and leave the kids with their dads!

Christina Schmidt said...

Okay... so you want to add pictures to a new entry? Hmm, I might need to talk with you about this in person. I think I can help. I think I have most everything figured out with Blogger. I have been playing around with a lot. If you want to add to a new entry, you hit the the picture icon (I think it looks like a little mountain.) Then just find your photo file and go from there BUT I think you are asking me something different so let me know!

Ohh, girls night AND football. I like that idea A LOT!

Christina Schmidt said...

Ohh look at you... You did the photo! Is that what you wanted to do?

K and J's mom said...

I figured out how to post it on the blog site, but was hoping there was a way to put it inside the actual text. Oh well, this will work fine. Thanks for the help!!!