Thursday, May 1, 2008

Barack Obama





Finally! I got to hear Barack Obama speak last night. I stood in line for 2.5 hours waiting for the doors to open. I sat in the poorly designed, cramped, and uncomfortable seating that is a large auditorium for another 2 hours waiting to see him. And then, finally! There he was!

I have never been interested in politics. I have never enjoyed "a good political debate" with friends or family. But things are different now. He has inspired me. He seems to be a normal guy, one you could ask over for dinner, one you could say "Hey Barack!" to if you saw him walking down the street. And more importantly, he seems to actually want to represent the people of America. Not the lobbyists. Not big business. Not big drug companies. Not the oil industry. Just us.

He was a dynamic speaker, for sure. But I was more interested in the content of his speech. He answered my questions. He apologized for his campaign getting sucked into the negativity that we hate about politics in recent weeks. He reminded everyone that he won't engage in ugly tactics and didn't say anything bad about Hillary last night. Even when the students in the crowd "boo-ed" at the mention of her name. He explained why he doesn't support the suspension of the fedreal gas tax for the summer. (A savings that breaks down to 30 cents per day for us, or a whopping total of $28 over the entire summer). Instead, he feels like we she be focusing our time/energy/dollars and a REAL solution to the gas issue. Not a gimmick that gives the American people $28 in their pocket over a three month period of time. He is focusing on finding alternative ways to harvest/utilize energy that are environmentally friendly (can I get an "Amen!")

He talked about education and how he feels our current federal program "leaves too many kids behind". He wants to offer a $4000 tuition credit to every college student every semester in exchange for community service or public service of some kind. (You KNOW I love that one!) He talked about keeping our allies close and our enemies closer; about how you can't just ignore the people who you dislike or dislike you in the world we live in today. He wants to focus on American jobs and putting people to work by rebuilding roads/bridges, developing alternative fuel/energy sources, investing in science and research and technology.

Don't worry, I won't recount his entire speech here, although I'd like to. I truly believe in this man. I think he wants it to be different here. I want it to be different too.

Whether you agree or disagree, Get out and vote. If you are a Hoosier- get out and vote NOW. The polls are open until Tuesday (election day). Find your polling place and vote. Make a difference in your home, neighborhood, community, and country. Get involved!

2 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I'm glad you got out to see him! I definitely like the idea of the $4000 credit. I wish they had that when I was in school. Maybe I wouldn't have had to work 40 hours a week to pay my tuition.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to see him! I really need to get up to speed on the candidates so I can go vote next week and make an informed decision!