Monday, November 19, 2007

Who's your daddy?

I, being the brave soul that I am, took both of my kiddies to Walus-martius (as my husband calls it) on Friday all by myself. It was a little daunting to say the least. Both kids fit nicely in the germ-infested shopping cart, but where oh where to put the purchases? Well, thankfully little boy "held" them for me in and around his car seat. Lord knows I didn't purchase too much. Actually spent less than $50...another true feat in itself!! Oh, and then there was my sweet princess saying "I got to GO, Mommy!" as I took her out of her car seat and placed her into the shopping cart seat. Great. Why did they put the family bathroom at the VERY BACK of Walmart? Perhaps there is one closer, but I knew of that one so off we went, with mommy driving VERY quickly down the aisles with her two bundles of joy gently bopping up and down in the shopping cart. The good news? We made it AND K peed in the potty. Of course, we had to wash our hands for about a half an hour in water as hot as she could stand, but I digress....

My funny story really is that as we were making our way down the main grocery aisle, a nice, elderly gentlemen stopped to speak to K. He commented on how lovely her big blue eyes were and wondered if her baby brother's were as blue? Anyway, K was hesitant to interact with him (Yay for wariness of strangers!), but as he walked away she said "Bye bye Grandpa!" Which made his day. So that's nice. Then the talk about Grandma and Grandpa began. K talks about them constantly and often remarks "I have TWO Grandmas" Now she even says, "I have FOUR Grandpas". So we pass an elderly woman and she said "Hi Grandma!" Which I thought was cute and hopefully the lady didn't take offense. She did look Grandma-ish after all.

So that's all fine and good and we are tooling along with my kid making friends every where we turn. Then, a Walmart worker (in my house we call them "WWs") was walking behind us. She shouts, "HIIIIII DADDDDY!" Now, this lovely, round fellow was pleasant enough but looked NOTHING like my husband. He was awkward, red faced and looked like he wanted to crawl into a hole and die. I quickly reminded K, "No, that's not your daddy. Daddy is at work, remember?" Well, my sweet girl who is always up for a fun game of "teasing" smiled and said, "Noooooo Mommy. Daddy is at Walmart." Okay, whatever. On we go to put as much distance between us and the embarrased WW as we could. Oh, wait. He had already dismissed himself and was NO WHERE to be found. ha ha.

This is dragging on, I know. Anyhoo, off we go back towards the front of the store to check out and my little sweet one sees another gentlemen heading our way. She says (in a loud two year old voice that carries for miles), "Is THAT my Daddy, Mommy?" Seriously. I swear the piped in Christmas music stopped, the lights dimmed, and EVERY person within a 5 mile radius stopped and looked at us. I'm like "What???? No, honey. You know your daddy is at work." (insert nervous laughter) OMG. Then she continued...with every male she saw.."Is that my Daddy? There's my daddy, mommy!" and on and on. Good God.

I love two. And Walmart.

2 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

Okay that is just funny! I cannot imagine what I would have done! Matthew does regularly look at people and say grandpa or grandma as well which sort of slightly makes me feel embarrassed because what if they're not but whatever... HE'S TWO!

Mostly he just confuses the gender of the workers and will call a clearly long haired girlie girl a working man and he will insist that SHE is a working man even though I say 'No hon no that is a working woman or person'. Oops! I love this age ;)

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I'm waiting for the day L starts commenting on the, ummm, 'size' of people... fat, short, etc.