Thursday, August 14, 2008

It takes a village

Hey all you mamas and papas/ aunties and uncles/ grandparents/ caregivers/ etc. out there reading this blog! What is your current parenting struggle?

We all struggle...during every stage, during every milestone, heck, during every DAY!

"It takes a village"....

"We are all in this together"...

"Insert your own cheesy battle cry here"....

Let's share them with each other! For me, parenting can be so isolating. Most of my friends are parents/aunties/uncles/cousins/caregivers/etc, yet we rarely tell each other what we are REALLY struggling with. Kids are hard. Damn hard. At least mine are. And I know your's are too. What are you and your kid/kid equivalent struggling with these days?

Here are mine:

With K, still trying to get the #2 in the potty. EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN DAY. Also have begun the wonderful world of "why?" and it's beautiful sister "the world of backtalk". Seriously. If I hear myself say "Stop talking back to me (what is a better way to phrase that? I think it confuses her)." To which I get the response ".... why?" I am gonna scream. Oh wait. Already did that.

With J, he is in the anxiety separation stage. He is doing well overall, but if mama is in the room, mama needs to be holding him. At least in his view. I mean sobs, big crocodile tears, sounds that make you think surely there must be a wasp in his diaper, and then if I pick him up... Nothing. Not even a reminent (?) of a tear. Complete calm. Sometimes I think maybe I IMAGINED the earlier tantrum it is gone so quickly

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lily: The whining. If we tell her NO about anything the next words that come out of her mouth are said in this awful whining tone. Drives me crazy! She is getting better though and will usually stop if I shoot her my 'knock it off' look.

Cam: He's into EVERYTHING. If he touches the #$*%&@ dog bowls one more time I think I'll lose it! Then he gets SO mad when we move him away from them over and over and over. He's starting to show his frustration by screaming and arching his back. It's a little mini tantrum.

Kelly said...

Can just being pregnant while trying to parent a 3-yr old be my problem? I'm sure I'll have something better to complain about in another month or 2, but this has got me kinda down at the moment.

Sportscasterguy said...

Ever hear of the old adage "kids are your payback for how you treated your parents".....well, there you go....all you can do is the best you can, and hope they turn out as well as mine lovely daughter (my pride and joy as she once told me) and my handsome son.

Christina Schmidt said...

Hmmmmm... I meant to answer this BUT the baby the sweet tot that I am totally completely in love with WILL NOT LET ME PUT HER DOWN. I try and try again but she does not like when I put her down, just ME. Not Kevin, or co workers or even if you if you came over but me WAILLLLLL... SIGH. Makes for a long day.

Truly I am terrified to be alone with M. He has been crazy lately and I am even more terrified to be alone with M and Miss Pancake in a few weeks. It is not like I woke up recently and was like 'crap I have two kids and I have no clue how to parent two kids' but it sort of feels that way just because I (we) did not expect M to be the way he has been. It makes my short fuse shorter and I feel crappy about being the mom I never ever wanted to be (OR oh S*** I am MY mother and yes that is pretty sucky in my book...) and it is just an ugly cycle. I may be driving you ladies crazy through out my maternity leave - I am just saying is all ;) Clue me into how and what I am supposed to do 9 hours a day with a newborn who wants to be held 24/7 and a 3 yr old who seems to you know hate me and/or has no desire to listen to me at all.

Emily Headley said...

Mac will you do..."no." Mac, bring Mommy..."no." Mac, ..."no, no, no." Why is that word so easy for him to say? He also throws his food, i.e. apples, wrappers, utensils, on the floor. He won't even TRY to poop on the potty. He still get in his jabs on poor Eli. Sometimes it's a poke, sometimes a hit, sometimes a bite. I'll ask, "why did you do that." His reply, "because I did." Duh.
Eli seems to only want me to hold him. He still doesn't sleep through the night.
With all that said, things aren't too bad right now. I am giving Mac some lee-way and trusting him to do what I ask, and he is doing it. :) And with Eli, I figure he is only a baby once, so why not hold him. :)

K and J's mom said...

Ahhhh, thanks everyone. I feel less lonely. I think we should have these updates regularly. Not to share bad stuff about the kids, but to help us remember that "it" (whatever "it" is at your house) is normal.