Friday, December 5, 2008

Good Parenting 101

My daughter is in this picky-eater stage. After being a good eater her whole life, she is now less likely to try new foods and refusing to eat certain ones. She eats very little at meals and has been eating more at snack time, which drives us crazy. So this morning, she refused to eat her breakfast again. She asked to get down long before her belly was full and I told her that if she didn't eat her breakfast, then she wasn't getting a snack. She would have to wait for lunch and be good and hungry.

An hour later, she threw up.

Just when I thought I had some sort of clue on how to parent, I completely miss the boat, and discipline my daughter....for being sick. Feel free to nominate me for "Parent of the Year"...

Oh and don't think I show favoritism...I took J in for his second flu shot last week. As he stood in the waiting room playing with the bead table, horror struck me as I realized his pants were on backwards. And it was completely noticeable. So I had to change them around, just as the nurse called our names (of course!).

3 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

About eating - same thing in our house - it is like pulling teeth to get him eat things he used to love. We are reduced to bread, crackers and yogurt. And if he likes something one day the next day he literally will look at it and say "ewww".

I always worry about this when I discipline Matthew. Could he be sick and just not telling me?! I hope K is feeling better quickly.

Kelly said...

Been there, done that. At least the other 950 times he wasn't sick. ;)

Hope K has a speedy recovery!

Kindy, Minnie Pie, Kaddo said...

Parent of the year! I nominate you cuz if we didn't make mistakes like that we'd be perfect and nobody likes a perfect mother. I've done that literally with all three of my girls. Don't beat yourself up...who knows if they don't say..."really Mommy, I think I'm going to puke!"
Hope K is feeling better soon!