Saturday, November 8, 2008

Cluck Cluck Cluck

Tell me, how many cans of chicken, beef, or vegetable broth do you have in your pantry?


One of the funny little quirks about my husband is that he is a "stocker-upper." He comes by this honestly. As a chef, he also tends to do the grocery shopping. He is a sucker for the 10 for 10 deals at our local supermarket. He stocks up on whatever is on sale that week. As such, we have an ongoing joke about how many ketchup bottles we have in the pantry at any given time. I tend to raz him about it and he is a good sport. Truth be told, I am happy we never run out of ketchup, or mayo, canned fruit, or salad dressing.

This week I reorganized the cabinets that make up our "pantry" as it was more and more difficult to find any specific canned good. As I reorganized, I found....ummmm...lots of broth. I cracked up about it and took a picture to torture him. Before I even had time to post the pic and write this blog, we had the following conversation:

Me: What should we have Dad bring for the dressing?
Him: Bread, celery, onions, apples... and chicken broth. Have him bring some chicken
broth.
Me (laughing): I think we've got that covered don't we?
Him: We have a couple of cans, but it's the holidays, we'll use alot.
Me: Babe, we have SEVENTEEN cans of broth.
Him: What? We do not.
Me: Seriously, I counted today. And took pictures.




We also have like 11 cans of tomato products and 11 cans of beans. Just in case. If there is an emergency, feel free to come over. We're covered.
Love you babe! ;)

6 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

Who needs to shop at Kroger? We will just stop your house ;)

Kelly said...

As soon as I read that first sentence, I started cracking up again! LOVE the picture!

Emily Headley said...

OK, do you really have to buy 10 things to get the discount? I didn't think so. I can't talk though, I have 4 cartons of chicken broth myself, and I don't cook that much with it. It was just such a great deal, I couldn't pass it up!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Dan can throw together some kind of delicious bean, broth, tomato and ketchup soup!

That's why we don't stock up on things. We forget we have them and then we find 4 cans of expired broth in the pantry when we clean it out a year later.

Dan said...

An admission of guilt.

I often make my own broth from various animal bones and freeze it for future use. I haven't checked the freezer yet but there may be some in there.
I can't explain my compulsion. I didn't even live through the depression, so I am not sure what catastrophe I am continually planning for. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay Mom, that might just explain the obsession for hoarding!