Monday, April 7, 2008

Sadness

I hate to be a bummer, but need somewhere to express this, so feel free not to read on. I found out late this afternoon that my ex-step nephew died. He was just a young man in his early twenties. It's a strange thing. Divorce. Death. What is the proper protocol here?

My father is divorced. His ex wife, has a son, who married a woman, who had two children from a previous relationship. He is one of the children....but all grown up. I remember this young man as a young boy, early teen, goofy,laughing, forever smiling. Joking around with everyone. Clearly adoring his younger sister. I have not stayed in touch with them since my father and their grandmother divorced. Well, I have talked with his sister via Myspace in the past. She is in the Air Force and makes me beam with pride when I think about that. (Go girl!)

This young man had ongoing health issues since early childhood and I remember hearing about him being hospitalized not long ago. One always assumes people will recover/get better/ go back to their lives.

I don't know the circumstances of his death. I just know that he died. It makes me sad. And I'm not sure why I feel guilty about feeling sad? Maybe, guilty for losing touch with this young man, who was family for several years. Does anyone ever really stop being family? Divorce is such a strange thing. Sides seem to be chosen, indirect contact takes the place of direct contact. Now he is gone. I am so sad for his mother, his father, his Grandmother, and most of all, his baby sister. They were as close as any two sibilings I ever saw.

This is random, run-on, tangential, choppy . I know this. It is how I feel right now. Random, run-on/run-over, tangential, choppy. And sad.

Rest in peace Kevin.

5 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. If you need to talk, you can always catch me on gchat.

Kelly said...

Oh Nicki. I am so sorry. Please know that you and your "extended" family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know if you need to talk.

Anonymous said...

That's so sad...I'm sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

The loss of family is the worst part of a divorce, not just immediate but extended family. There is no way to avoid that loss as things are forever changed. I am truly grateful that you have chosen to stay in my life as a friend if not as an official family member. I hurt.

Emily Headley said...

Nicki, you are such a good person.
You seem to care for everyone.