Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Just puttin' it out there

I have to say that I am very excited about the way things are going in the country right now. It seems like we have been in a "black hole of despair" for an awfully long time. While talk of recession is rampant, and seems likely at this point, I am still very optimistic and pleased about the current political environment.

I am a democrat, although don't consider myself overly liberal. I become more conservative in my views the older I get, but still find myself in agreement with the democratic party more so than the GOP. Mostly, I like middle of the road thought...nothing too extreme in either direction.

I am THRILLED about Barack Obama and the movement he seems to be creating and carrying with so many Americans. There is something about him that is calming to me. I've been hearing/learning about him for a number of years and was delighted when he threw his hat officially in the race. I am excited by the prospect of having someone young, fresh, and optimistic in the white house.

As a woman, I am ECSTATIC that Hillary Clinton is also in the running. I feel a bit guilty that if given the choice, I'd choose Barack. But the fact that Hillary is just as likely to win as Barack means it is a NEW day!! Life changing. Country changing. World changing. It's been a loooong time coming.

That said, the reason I personally feel more confident about Barack than Hillary is because I think her "baggage" will only divide the American public and Congress further. Don't get me wrong, I think she'd be a heck of a President and try and get some shit done!!! Thank you very much! However, I think the old, bitter, closed minded, "Clinton haters" from the 90's will make it their mission to make sure she gets as little accomplished as possible. And unfortunately, some of those persons remain in the current legislature and continue having a tremendous amount of influence and power. "Politics as usual" I call it. The reason why people have been so unplugged for so many years.

Barack, on the other hand, really seems to know how to get people together. I think he is one of those people who just make others relax while in his presence. Do you know what I mean? There are those people in the world who seem to get along with everyone and manage differences in opinion so diplomatically that people can't seem to be mean to them. Barack seems that way to me. I have a great deal of respect for him, and all the candidates, honestly.

So there you have it. I am even impressed that on the Republican side there are a few candidates who really seem to focus on the momentum in the country and the need for people to get involved. We are all tired of the negative campaigning, "bought and sold" campaigns and political favors to big time lobbyists, and non-partisan negotiations. You are our leaders. Get together and hash out the details to solve some of the problems we face. Not working together b/c of political differences is a cop out. It is an excuse and is no longer acceptable.

Without trying to sound so "pc", it is time for a change. And I am proud to be talking about it. No matter your view, party affiliation, values, or religious beliefs, GET INVOLVED. Do a little research. Read up on the candidates and cast your vote. Its time the white house reflect the views of the "average" American. You can't complain about it if you aren't using your vote to speak in my opinion. And this year, the excuse of "there are no good candidates" isn't good enough. There are great candidates. Different candidates. Optimistic candidates. On BOTH sides.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I so need to get caught up on this stuff. I haven't been paying any kind of attention and have no idea what's going on. Good thing I have a few more months until November.

Kindy, Minnie Pie, Kaddo said...

so, I'm commenting cuz no one else has except Kelly and that's because she is a good friend :) Anyway, I agree with the part about good candidates but, I'm also afraid of big talk and no change. Here's why...the only way we're going to change the way our government works is to insist, lobby, take up arms to get the Legislature to work on 4 or 8 year terms instead of life terms. We have 90 year old House of Representatives or Congress who don't have a clue what changes need to be made to better our country. Until that happens, no candidate, no matter how good, will create change for the people.
There you have it....Kindra's point of view.....