Thursday, August 5, 2010

Happy Birthday Kate!

Dear Kate,

Today you are FIVE YEARS OLD!!! I don't know what it is about the age of five, but I distinctly remember looking into your wrinkly, pink, bright blue eyed face when you were brand new trying to imagine the little girl you would be at five. It was so hard to picture you growing big enough to fit into newborn clothes that day, nevermind imagine you with a backpack heading off to Kindergarten.

And here it is. I am so excited for you to be this age! You are embarking on a whole new world and I'm certain you will leave a strong and lasting footprint. You are very imaginative and love the world of make-believe. You remind me of my own childhood, as you play for hours in your far off lands with fairies, love stories, danger, and happily ever afters. Daddy and Mommy often hear "just one more minute!" when we call you to dinner, remind you of bathtime, or ask you to leave your secret world.

You continue to amaze me by your love for all things. Everything is precious to you. You don't like parting with friends, family, outgrown clothes, old toys, or dead flowers. Sometimes you tell me that you don't want to grow up, you want your life to remain EXACTLY as it is in that very moment. And while I can't stop the clock, there are plenty of times when I wish I could.

The world is big and can be overwhelming, but it is full of friends, adventure, love, and kindness. Good things will always find you because you are a light in this world.

It's been five years, they've flown by in a hearbeat. One more deep breath and you will be ten. But for now....for now, you are five. Happy Birthday to my baby Kate.

Love,
Mommy

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Still can't believe our babies are 5 (wiping the tears away). Hugging my little girl a little tighter today after reading this.

Your girl IS going to be amazing. I absolutely can not wait to see the mark she leaves on this world.

Christina Schmidt said...

Happy Birthday Kate!

Melissa said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday Kate!!