Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Big girl = Big times!

Kate is four AND A HALF and seems to be growing more and more every day. Some days I just stare in awe of how far she has come in her little life. I remember when she was between 12-18 months old, I felt like she was growing and changing by the minute. She was saying new words every day, started walking, then running, and grew taller and leaner every week. I have been having that same feeling of late.

She has finally surpassed and maintained the "over 30 pound" mark and is now in a big girl booster seat. She can unbuckle herself and open the back door to get out of the car by herself, which leaves Mommy feeling strangely like I am forgetting something every time we go out. She is asking how to spell everything under the sun and can even read some short, three letter words. I am amazed every time she brings home a school paper that has a complete word written on it or phrase like "I love you, Mommy" scrawled out in her large, recognizable letters. Today, as we walked to her room for nap (an occurrence that is happening about three days per week now), she said "Watch this!" And VOILA! She was skipping. I didn't know she could skip! I was so excited for her and we skipped together laughing at her accomplishment.

She's a master on her bike and loves speeding down the driveway only to slam on her brakes or turn at the last second before crossing "the line". (The imaginary line Mommy draws on the driveway that the kids cannot pass without Mommy or Daddy) She is zipping jackets, fastens buttons, wants to start learning to tie her shoes, and continues working on snaps.

Katie bird had her first girlfriend sleepover this past weekend. She was so excited all week long. All we heard was "how many more sleeps 'til Lily comes?" and "Only one more sleep until Lil comes over!" They enjoyed playing princesses, Polly Pocket, having a dance party, eating spaghetti, watching a Little Mermaid movie, and sleeping on the floor in their princess sleeping bags. It was a big success! I couldn't believe it went so smoothly! I half-expected to have to drive to the west side in the middle of the night lest her little friend missed home too much, or have to intervene among arguing 4 year olds over whose Polly Pocket wore what outfit. But nothing of the sort happened. It was great!

My little girl is growing up. Seriously growing up. She talks of going to school, riding the bus, and marrying her little brother when she grows up. It goes by so fast and while I don't want to turn back the clock, I'd be fine if it wanted to slow down a little. :)


1 comment:

Christina Schmidt said...

SO BIG!!! Love the sleep over pic!