Monday, January 18, 2010

In Honor of...

Today, I read my daughter a book about Martin Luther King, Jr. It was geared towards older kids, and I didn't think she'd get much about who he was and what he did for others. But I thought it was very important to talk to her about it anyway. Remember over there... right under her picture, where I noted that she was an "old soul" and made statements and questions that would keep you up at night? Well, here is the conversation we had after the book this afternoon:

Kate: Where is Martin?

Me: He is in Heaven now because he died, remember?

Kate: Why did the bad guy kill Martin?

Me: Well, because he didn't want Martin teaching others to be kind to everyone, no matter what color of skin they have.

Kate: Did he go to Heaven?

Me: Yes, I think so.

Kate: But if he died and went to Heaven, then WHO IS GOING TO BE OUR LEADER now?

Me: (Stunned) You, baby girl. YOU are our leader.

Then I had to explain once again why sometimes when Mommy cries, it is because she is HAPPY, not SAD. My girl...she just gets to the heart of things doesn't she?)

2 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

This babies (BIG KIDS) are sweet. Matthew wanted to know all about why Martin died and how he died and where and oh lawdy Ashley and I could not answer the questions fast enough.

melissa said...

Awwww!