Friday, January 15, 2010

Hearing the call

Watching the news is heartbreaking. I have been conciously staying away from the local, national, and world news. I know that I shouldn't. I know it is burying my head in the sand.

Tens of thousands are dead. Even more are homeless, lost, and entire lives are in shambles. It reminds me of the tsunami not too many years ago. It takes me back to Katrina four and a half years ago. And even further back to 2001 and the day the safe world I thought I lived in (or pretended to live in) ceased existing. The day that I was forced into thinking about realities that I do not want to consider. They are incomprehensible to my brain.

I avoid the news because I cannot fully separate from it. I am immediately pulled into an anxious state where I am the mother of children I cannot find. The mother of children I cannot get to, cannot reach, cannot save. I have no husband to steady me, no house to keep me warm, no way to contact my family to check on their safety. There is a pull I feel inside when these large scale disasters surface. A pull to serve, to help, to leave my safety and security and go towards the center of chaos. I use the excuse of being the mommy to young children not to go, but I know that one day, I will go. It will be my turn to serve in the chaos. To help those I do not know. To connect with those who feel they have no connections left in the world.

Until then, I will do what I can from here. I will try to watch the news, so that I do not lose sight of what is going on in the world. So that I do not keep my head in the sand. I ask that you do the same. Step out of your comfort zone. Do something to help others. Know that others will help you when you need it. Please take the time to donate funds, food, water, supplies, cash, whatever you can. $10 makes a huge difference. Find a way.

No comments: