Sunday, June 1, 2008

Neglect and Purpose

One thing about blogging is as you experience funny/unusual/scary/interesting things in your day to day life, you often think "Oh! I'm going to blog about that!" Then, it never happens. At least for me. Sorry I haven't been blogging much, I haven't felt very inspired lately.

Do you ever feel like there is something missing? From your life, I mean? I have been feeling that way. A sort of unsettled nervousness, like I should be getting ready to go somewhere or do something, but am not sure what it is.

Perhaps it is this age (33), but I have been feeling unfulfilled lately. I mean, I am so thankful and blessed for my beautiful, healthy, and big-hearted children. I get to stay at home with my kids 5 1/2 days per week, a luxury I know most women do not have. I am lucky enough to say I am still in love with my husband, after being married for five years and together for ten (WOW! Can you believe that, honey?). I am furtunate to have a flexible job where I can do most of my work sitting up here on the balcony of my bedroom during naptime or after the kids go to bed. It pays me well and I do enjoy it, especially meeting all the people.

Yet, there is still something gnawing away at me. I feel like I am supposed to be doing something different. I worry that in a blink of an eye, my kids will be grown, and I will be left wondering why I hadn't taken the time to figure out my "purpose". A journey I don't want to necessarily begin when I am fifty.

I am trying to quiet my mind right now. Take some time away from my work, my kids, the tv, music. See if I can hear the voice that tells you where you should go and what you should be doing.

Does anyone know what I am talking about here? Has anyone found anything that has helped them center their lives a little more?

4 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I wish I could help but my life is too busy to have time to question whether I'm on the right path. This scares me, because I worry I'll blink, be 50, my kids will be out of the house, and I'll have no idea what the hell just happened.

Christina Schmidt said...

I felt this way a lot in my 20s. I do not feel that way as much now mostly because of the things I have now back then I never in a million years imagined I would have or that I would feel fulfilled about them.

I feel I am learning the ability to slow down at long last. I am less worried about what it is I want, need or long for and just enjoy what is right in front me. One thing that gets me feeling the way your described is travel. I love to travel and long to see far away places that I have dreamed about seeing my entire life but have yet to do and I worry I never will see them, they will always be beautiful photos in National Geographic, not places I have visited in person.

However it is human nature, an inclination to feel this way, right?! One thing that helps me - I keep a mantra that I made up handy for those time to bring me back to the present, to remove myself from those feelings. I will repeat that mantra while taking a walk or sitting quietly. It really helps!

I always keep in mind that the path I am on is perfect AND I am never ever too old (or young) to change it. I figure if when I am 80 that when I get to see the world then so be it. And if I never do it at least I tried to learn all that I could about those places because that sparks my interest, sets me on fire, you know?!

Kelly said...

I hear you. I find this comes in spurts for me, but has never truly gone away. I will find myself very content with my life and my place in the world at times, and then the next thing I know I start to wonder about everything. The choices I've made, the relationships I've had, etc. I'm not really sure what gets me through it and keeps me going. I guess I just know that there's not a whole lot of change that I can actually make in my life at the moment. And there's always my thought that when my children are "grown" I will still have a lot of life left to live on my terms.

Anonymous said...

I often hit this very thing (as I suppose we all do or will at some point). I question what my purpose is, why was I put here on earth? Then I pray about it. I ask for contentment and answers. I get it eventually.....I am right where I am supposed to be....a mom, raising 3 beautiful girls and taking care of my husband....later, I'll be the EMT or Vet Tech, or I'll save the world....when I have time :) Like Welcome to our world said....I'll never ever be to old to learn something new or experience something I've longed to experience....be patient sweet sister :) Love, Kindy