Friday, September 19, 2008

Our story






Five years ago, my fiance and I made the trek to the Outer Banks of North Carolina to get married. It took us a long time to get there, and I'm not talking about the drive to North Carolina. :)
Do you know our story? Well here is the "quick and dirty" version: D and I met while we both worked at a retirement community. He was the chef and I was the social worker. We were part of a "group" of young troublemakers...er..I mean progressives, working there among management that was old, outdated, and set in their ways. A few months after working there, I was in a terrible car accident. A truck ran a red light and T-boned my car. I went to the ER in pretty bad shape, but nothing life threatening. My jaw was broken in two places and I had to have it wired shut to heal. It was the best weight loss technique EVER! :) Anyway, I survived on liquid vitamins, Carnation Instant Breakfast shakes, soups, and Jello. D was very sweet and used to puree up peaches and other foods for me so that I had "variety" in my diet, at least for lunch. Very sweet. We started dating a few months later.
He was in a very bad motorcycle accident a few years later. He was laid up for weeks. After he healed, we took a cruise together to Belize. One night, the night of the Captain's Gala, we were all dressed up and went for a walk on the upper deck. It was there that he proposed. Beneath millions of stars and right in the middle of my favorite place, the ocean.
Halfway through our wedding plans, I got a little freaked out. Nothing seemed to "fit" right for us. So, one night while freaking out, my dear fiance asked me, "If you could get married anywhere, where would it be?" And I said, "the ocean." The plans for the big church wedding that never seemed to fit for us stopped. And the plans for a wedding on the beach for just us, our parents and siblings, and closest friends began.
And five years later here we are. We have wonderful children, good health, fabulous friends, great jobs, and a beautiful home. I am lucky to be married to my best friend and my children have the world's best daddy!
Thank you, honey, for such a wonderful life. I love you!

6 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

What a lovely story! And no I did not know the story... one of those million questions I want to ask but between kids or talk of kids I never do! Thanks for sharing! The photos are LOVELY and if I had to do it over again I would go to the ocean as well ;)

Christina Schmidt said...

What a lovely story! And no I did not know the story... one of those million questions I want to ask but between kids or talk of kids I never do! Thanks for sharing! The photos are LOVELY and if I had to do it over again I would go to the ocean as well ;)

AndreAnna said...

Awww, how cute!

You know, minus the motor vehicle accidents. ;)

Anonymous said...

YAY! Great story! I love learning these things about everyone but like Christina I never seem to ask about them with all of the 'kid stuff' that goes on! Love the pictures! You look beautiful and it's obvious from your smiles that the beach wedding fit you guys perfectly.

Kelly said...

Great story and beautiful pics!

Dan said...

Thank You Honey.
I Love You.